June 14 is the commemoration of World Blood Donor Day to celebrate all the caring and brave people who donate blood and platelets to save the lives of others. For 2023, the theme of the day is “Give blood, give plasma, share life, share often.”
Why Donate Blood?
- Every two seconds in the United States, someone needs blood. (Source: Red Cross)
- 4.5 million Americans will a need blood transfusion each year (Source: Community Blood Center)
- More than 38,00 blood donations are needed every day. (Source: Red Cross)
- Pediatric patients in the U.S. used 652,00 blood components (Source: America’s Blood Centers)
- One donation can save the lives of up to three people. (Source: Red Cross)
- While 38% of the American population is eligible to give blood, only 2% actually donates. (Source: Cedars Sinai)
- About one in seven people entering a hospital need blood. (Source: Community Blood Center)
Do I Qualify to Donate Blood?
Blood Donor Eligibility Requirements
How Does Blood Help Babies and Kids?
- Children being treated for cancer, premature infants and children having heart surgery need blood and platelets from donors of all types, especially type O. (Source: Community Blood Center)
- Babies may need a blood transfusion if they have an infection or if there was bleeding before delivery. (Source: Kaiser Permanente)
- Premature babies may have a lack of red blood cells (anemia) because they’re not yet ready to make their own. (Source: Kaiser Permanente)
- Full-term babies don’t start making their own blood cells for 1 to 3 months. (Source: Kaiser Permanente)
- Blood given to babies can only get CMV negative blood, that is, from donors who have not been exposted to CMV (Cytomegalovirus), a flu-like virus that most adults are exposed to at some point in their lives (up to 85% of adults by age 40), often without even knowing it. (Source: Community Blood Center of the Ozarks)
- Premature infants may need up to five units of red blood cells in one transfusion. (Source: Life Serve Blood Center)
Where Can I Donate?
American Red Cross Blood Drive
Association for the Advancement of Blood and Biotherapies (AABB) Bank Finder
Find a Blood Donation Center
50 Quick Facts About Blood
FAQ’s about Blood and Blood Donation
The Surprising Benefits of Donating Blood
What to Do Before, During, and After Donation